Our Blog

"How long do I keep my financial records?" is a common question. Here are some pointers:

  • Financial records (such as bills) that do not effect your tax return can be destroyed as they are paid. Unless you are using your phone, electric, and gas bills as tax deductions, there is no compelling reason to keep them. The major exception to this would be records of home improvements, like the new kitchen or garage.
  • You should keep your tax records for a minimum of 4 years and a maximum of 8 years. This would be copies of your W-2s and 1099s, real estate tax bills, business expenses etc. Anything that effects your tax return should be kept. Why the difference in holding period? If the IRS can prove that you have substantially understated your income or taxes, they can go back 7 years from the date of the filing of your return. So a return for 2014 can be audited up to sometime in 2022.
  • The vast majority of taxpayers have a W-2, some investment income and a house. The odds of these taxpayers understating their income are remote. Even so, to be on the safe side, keep your records for 8 years.
  • You should keep your investment records permanently. However, this does not mean that you need to keep every scrap of paper that comes from your broker, mutual fund or bank. Most mutual funds send out a statement each quarter and then an annual one summarizing all the activity for the year. Once the annual statement arrives, get rid of the quarterly ones. The same goes for brokerage accounts. Nowadays, the mutual fund companies and brokerage firms maintain a record of your investment purchases. BUT these can get lost if you switch brokerage firms and some mutual fund companies don't have the old records if you opened the account a long time ago.

Some other notes:

  • Don't have one file where you keep all your records. Separate them by year. Then its easy when its time to shred some records.
  • With all the identity theft that is going on today, it is best to shred rather than throw out any records. Definitely do not put financial records that are not shredded in the recycle bin.
  • Keep electronic copies of your records. This is easy if you have brokerage accounts or mutual funds. You can download PDFs of your statements and store them on your computer. You can do the same thing with your charge card statements. If you can't get PDFs of your tax returns scan them and the basic records that are needed for your return. Think of all the trees saved by not getting paper copies of everything.
  • To guard against a computer crash, be sure to backup your data regularly. Online backup systems work great.

Subscribe to Thom's Tax Talk by Email


I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniuet!


Legal Disclaimer

I desire to present only accurate information on this blog. However, I do not guarantee the accuracy or timeliness of the information. The information on this blog is subject to change without notice. I do not make any warranty, expressed or implied, or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of the documents or information available on this blog. Any reference to a product, service, publication or web site does not imply an endorsement of that product, service, publication, or web site. If you have any questions or comments about any information provided on this blog, please email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..


Got questions?
We've got answers.

tel: 978-486-9855
fax: 978-486-9088
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Vallas & Arrison, PC
312 Great Road
Littleton, MA 01460-0771

2 Burlington Woods Drive
Suite 100
Burlington, MA 01803

Signup to get our blog in your inbox.

Signup for tips and advice to keep the IRS off your list of incoming calls: